Kohler Architecture assisted with the planning and foundation design for the new statue of President Monroe on the Northeast lawn of the courthouse. Working with The Monroe County 200 Legacy Project, The Monroe County Board of Commissioners and The City of Monroe. The plan called for the existing cannon to be relocated to the east, so that the new statue would be the main focal point within Loranger Square. The materials for the new statue and all related work matched the existing context. The statue is in honor of Monroe County’s namesake, the fifth president of the United States who served two terms, 1817-1825. The dedication coincides with the county’s year-long celebration marking its 200th anniversary. The statue will help educate residents and visitors about the important contributions President Monroe made while serving as the nation’s chief executive and why he was selected to be the county’s namesake.